Just for Derek
Alright, the rest of you can read this too (since you apparently are) but this post will be all about editing choices and strategies that Derek, who has produced the longest movie out of all of us, is in a unique position to comment on. Derek, in the future, we can make this conversation happen via e-mail or something, but I figured this was a venue that we're all checking regularly, and maybe other people want a peek at the thrills of editing.
My biggest issue is this: For all practical purposes, I have 15 hours of footage and 100 gb of storage on my computer. Since there is no way I can capture all of this and deal with it all from my computer (my prefered method) I have been trying to decide on the most efficient way to do this. The following is the method that seemed to make the most sense and that I have already started employing, but I'm not too far in to change if there's a better way.
Since I did a poor job of keeping track of what footage was on which tape (lesson 1), my first task has been to go back through all the footage on my tv and log everything in a notebook by scene and timecode. Once that's all done, I'm going to decide where I want to start editing, and then do it scene by scene on the computer. That way, once I have finalized scenes, I can delete all of the unneeded scenes to save space. If necessary, I could even print all of the finished scenes to an avi or something and get rid of all of the raw footage to save even more space. I can't imagine that would effect the quality, so I think it's an okay idea, but either way that's just an "If I need to." Also, I have an extra 40 gb on an external hard drive that I'm going to use as back up, but if I end up having to just put all of the finished scenes there and leaving my computer totally clean, I guess I can do that.
Let me know what you think about all of that, or I should just scrap that idea outright and start doing something better.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home