tittles
I'm just going to list them first, then include the optional explanations. Some of my picks were discussed heavily with TK and are included on his list, these will be omitted.
Thrift Store Masque
Sidewalk Litter
Barhoping
Dogs of Mabon
Thrift Store Masque: The same flavor of the original, none of that non-gritty aftertaste.
Sidewalk Litter: I like metaphors and I like double-entendresdsfs (I wasn't going to spell it right anyway). Litter is all about being out in the street getting kicked around. It's also a group of siblings of dogs. I also like dog tie-ins. The trailer would include (at a carefully chosen moment) a shot of Chuck and Jill playing with a dog, and the grit2k compliant name already indicates the alternate connotation. Metaphor and Double-Enta;lensdtn in your face.
Barhoping: I like making up words. Come on. That's clever.
Dogs of Mabon: Get ready, this is a real treat. I won't reiterate the "dog" portion. Something I'm very fond of that takes place in many great works of film and art is the association between the seasons of the year and the stages of life. This happens a fair amount, particularly anything worthwhile to have come out of Japan plays with this convention. Since our characters all find themselves at that point where their summer is running out AND our movie takes place at the end of summer, I wanted to incorporate this somehow into just one titular option. My first thought was with the Fall Equinox (September 22 or 23, days start getting shorter, all kinds of nifty things involving equilibrium and balance, look it up). After failing to arrive at an attractive name using this phrase, I stumbled across something down-right fascinating. Amongst wickans, as fate would have it, Mabon (pronounced May-bun) is the name for the Fall Equinox and the holiday that celebrates it. And it sounds cooler than "Fall Equinox." There's no denying this is a stretch, even I, the originator of the idea, had to look most of that shit up. Here's why I like it. Between the season thing and the lucky/accidental wicka tie-in, it is very reasonable that some people will figure this out and be impressed as hell. These people are the somewhat intellectual, film-savvy festival goers/critics (ie. our target audience). In fact, these people are (even as I'm typing this) having wet dreams for this kind of movie. I'm not saying it's my top pick, I'm just proving its legitimacy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home